I cured my xmas cabin fever by checking out all of ebay's vintage alligator and snakeskin clutches. I resorted to ebay, after discovering the price tags of croc and python arm candies pictured below. Iconic Nancy Gonzalez alligator bags start at $1000. Snakeskin is definitely more affordable. Angel Jackson, Cala and Beirn all make gorgeous snakeskin clutches and wallets that won't break the bank. Anyhow, I decided to scout Ebay and other vintage sites for the most appealing reptilian classics.
Olivia Palermo with vintage Hermes Baccara and another vintage find, Heidi Montag with Nancy Gonzalez classic, and Rachel Stevens with Givenchy foldover clutch,
1. Pierre Cardin clutch found on farfetch.com - £295
2. Vintage croc clutch found on vintageskins.com - $345
3. Pierre Cardin clutch found on ebay.com - £27.
4. Unknown vintage croc clutch found on ebay.com - £79
Lauren Conrad and Nicole Richie with vintage python clutches, Eva Longoria with Adriana Castro lizard clutch, Olivia with Carlos Falchi foldover clutch.
1. Devi Kroell found on ebay.com - $599
2. Unknown vintage bag found on ebay.com - $223
3. Judith leiber found on ebay.com - $625
4. Unknown vintage clutch found on ebay.com - appx $20
So my advice is to stick to ebay. You can get a gorgeous snakeskin or crocodile skin vintage bag under £80 (appx $120). Be careful not to go for crocodile print, but crocodile skin. Judith Leiber and Devi Kroell would be definite investment pieces (although they are more expensive than 'unknown' make finds). Be also on a lookout for beautiful vintage italian snakeskin bags. Unfortunately vintage Hermes and Gucci will cost you an arm and a leg, I'd spend that money on a modern classic :). Happy bidding!